Dry mouth is a common oral health issue, but that does not mean you should ignore it.
So far in our series on dry mouth, we have discussed what it is and some of the causes. Following these discussions, we would like to explore some of the treatment options and tips to help alleviate dry mouth.
There are a number of things that you can do to increase the flow of saliva. These include:
- Moisturize your lips regularly
- Visit your dentist on a regular basis
- Chew sugarless gum (chewing increases saliva flow)
- Use a humidifier when you sleep
- Brush and floss at least twice per day
- Use over-the-encounter artificial saliva substitutes
- Be sure to drink plenty of water
There are some cases where the cause of someones dry mouth cannot be changed, medication is an example of this.
In our final blog post on dry mouth, we will go over some other ways to alleviate the symptoms.